Prepping your property to be rent-ready entails ensuring it’s in good enough shape to be on the market. Prior to COVID-19, it is safe to say that if you have an appealing, strategically located, and well-maintained property that is priced competitively as well as widely publicised, you’ll likely have a lot of interest as soon as it goes on the market.
Today, life, as we once knew, has changed. As we are entering the endemic stage, more and more people have adapted to the new norm of COVID-19. Hence, we believe that landlords should do the same in getting their property rent-ready.
Fret not! In this article, we’ve compiled some valuable information on how to prepare your property for rent and keep your business afloat throughout this crisis.
Without further ado, let’s look at how to get your rental home ready for COVID-19!
Preparing to Rent: A General Guide.
Before we dive right into COVID-19 prevention, let’s backtrack and explore some general yet crucial issues that landlords must address to ensure a positive reaction from prospective tenants.
First, take a look at your property and ask yourself this question, “Would I rent this?”. Remember, you need to improve your property holistically as the first impression is tremendously significant.
After all, you only have one chance to make a first impression.
Having said that, we understand that it’s easy to lose track when there’s a lot on your plate. Preparing your property for rent is no small task. Thus, we made this handy checklist to help you out!
Here’s a list of tasks to complete:
- Declutter and depersonalise the property to make it more livable for future tenants. It’s best to keep the decor plain and simple.
- Repaint the walls with a new coat of paint. Ensure that there are no flaws, such as scratches or blemishes on the walls.
- Check and replace the filters for heating and air conditioning on a regular basis.
- Make sure the windows are clean and not damaged. Don’t forget to check for cracks on your window frames as well!
- Make sure that all of the appliances are in functioning order. Make an extensive list of necessary maintenance repairs and replace what needs to be replaced.
- Hire a professional to clean the carpets. We recommend you update and replace your carpets every ten years to avoid red flags.
- Make sure that your curtains and blinds are in excellent condition. Similar to carpets, we believe it’s best to change your curtains and blinds every ten years.
- Spray to get rid of pests and control infestations.
Preparing to Rent: A COVID-19 Prevention Guide.
Undoubtedly, virus epidemics are not included in the standard commercial lease and property management agreement. Instead, the landlord’s responsibilities and obligations in terms of limiting tenants’ risk of virus exposure are determined by what services, if any, the landlord offers at the property.
However, in specific properties such as a commercial office building where cleaning, janitorial, and security services are provided, a landlord should consider executing the operational recommendations listed below:
- Contact your local health authority to get the most up-to-date information on the virus and advice for preventing transmission.
- Regularly clean handled surfaces and items, such as bathrooms, security desk areas, elevator banks, turnstiles, escalators, doorknobs, communal kitchens or pantries, bathrooms, and the like.
- Put hand sanitiser stations in the frequently populated areas of the property.
- Provide reading materials such as posters, pamphlets, and banners to teach employees, visitors, vendors, delivery personnel, and staff about COVID-19 prevention like appropriate hand hygiene and cough etiquette.
- Always follow the regulations set by the local health department.
Overall, it has been established that maintaining a clean property and following sanitary measures are vital steps in preventing the spread of COVID-19. Nonetheless, it may be a hassle to clean the property yourself.
Luckily, Rumah-i provides scheduled cleaning services to ensure your property remains spotless and dust-free. Our trained professionals are ready to help you create a clean property and a clean environment. Sit back and relax as the professionals do what they do best!
The Bottom Line
Be meticulously thorough while preparing a property for a new renter, and consider what you would anticipate if you were moving into a new unit. Lastly, make sure that everything is secure, sanitary, and functional.
Are you interested in renting out your property? Download Rumah-i’s new Digital Tenancy App available on Google Play and App Store to experience accessible property listing within your fingertips!